Monday 21 May 2012

Change

Today marks 3 months since I started my job in the NHS in a healthcare library. I knew that I was starting at a time of great change and it does seem fairly relentless. I am trying to keep up with various news feeds to understand more about the organisation and today the Department of Health has launched a new information strategy http://informationstrategy.dh.gov.uk/.  I think this in the long term will  impact the way that we work within the Library but may also present new opportunities for us to support patient care - the reason for our being.

3 comments:

  1. Hi,

    Whereabouts is your NHS library? I'm at the County Hospital in Lincoln, I've been here for three years now (started as the graduate trainee and never left!) I love working in health librarianship. Looking forward to reading more!

    Lesley

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Hi Lesley,

      I am working in Basingstoke and North Hampshire hospital which is one of the 3 hospitals that form the Hampshire Hospital Foundation Trust. Our libray service is shared with one of the hospitals in Southampton and the mental health teams. I am a Knowledge Support librarian providing a service to staff in the hospital but also doing outreach with community staff. I think I am beginning to enjoy it!

      Delete
  2. Hi June

    I have been in NHS for five years,I worked in two different hospitals. I will admit that I found my first year, quite an uphill struggle. I moved from the academic sector into the health sector, at times it can feel that there is so much to learn. It used to make me smile when colelagues commented that change always present in the nhs. You will get used to it. Looking forward to follwoing your thoughts and comments as the course continues.

    Nicki

    ReplyDelete